Sunday, March 30, 2014

Casserole Caddy

Have you seen these floating around? They're pretty nifty, and since I promised a friend of mine for her birthday last year, i finally got around to making one!


I'm fairly happy with the outcome, although there are a few things that didn't work out the way I wanted. Let's take a look shall we?


I used this pattern from Joann's. It was nice not to have to measure and worry about math, but as you can see i did some modifications. As cool and convenient it is to do the handles as the serving utensils, I personally find wooden handles to be not all that comfortable, and add a heavy dish full of food and I foresaw the actual carrier getting 'forgotten' in lieu of just carrying the casserole itself. Maybe that's just me. Either way, I didn't want to lose the convenience of having a place for serving supplies, so I just added a little Velcro strap to hold 'em.


You can see that the Velcro doesn't quite line up, the reason being isn't because I screwed up. Oh no, my 13"x9" dish is actually 13.25"x9.25", what weirdo designed that? But even with my unnecessary extra 1/4" sides it still fits pretty well.

So what didn't turn out the way i wanted? Well, I used flannel instead of the decor weight recommenced fabric and while I think it looks cuter and will function just was well, it proved a bit difficult to use with the 'insul-bright' batting. That being said I have never used any type of batting before, so there's a very strong chance my issues with it have everything to so with my lack of experience. Basically there was lots of shifting of fabric which led to puckers and some of my seams got shifted.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I put it together wrong first, and didn't discover my error until I had cut away the bulky seams and clipped corners! I blame it on the fact that it took me 2 weeks of 15 min here, and 20 min there to assemble and sew it together. Call it mom-brain if you must (thought you got your brain cells back after giving birth? Haha! Not a chance!)

I am overall happy with the outcome and will be experimenting with insul-bright again. Maybe a lunch bag for work? We'll see. I just hope the recipient likes and used this as much as I do/would! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment