Monday, January 27, 2014

Darn!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. This is a post about darning. My husband has what he refers to as "acid feet" and so socks I make him don't last long. I will need to start taking preventative measures on future projects, but that's a different post.


So you can see the problem with this pair, not only did he manage to wear a sizable hole in it but also managed to unravel the toe somewhat.


As you can see I just used some crochet hooks to fix the runs, that was super easy.


As for the actual hole I used this tutorial to mend the hole. Seeing as I have no egg/ mushroom to aid me, I improvised and used a baby bottle with a cap on.


Unlike the run on the toe, the hole looks ugly, like super ugly. But since this is on the underside of the sock where it will be unseen when worn, I don't care. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! These suckers have been sitting in my 'to fix' box for a year or so now, so the hubs is pretty stoked to have them back. As well as the other 2 pairs I plan on fixing.

I have added emptying my fix-it box to my goals for this spring, since it's something I tend to avoid with a passion. I'm not sure I've ever actually fixed anything that's made it I'm there for more than a week… whoops! :)

I know, I'm terrible. How are you with mending garments instead of tossing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment